Use Action to Heal Your Mind
The pursuit of success, while extremely rewarding, can be very difficult at times. Putting in all of the time and effort required of a successful career can definitely take its toll on you both physically and mentally.
It’s important to take an active role in your mental health and emotional wellbeing, or the pressures of life and business will change you for the worse. Stay strong, balanced, healthy and happy by using action to heal your mind when things get rocky.
Feeling Burnt out?
- Go for a walk. A walk will help to clear your mind and give you a boost of energy. Preferably, a walk outdoors will give you the added bonus of fresh air and will help to rejuvenate you!
- Change your surroundings. A change of scenery can do wonders for you when you’re feeling burnt out. Even a quick visit to the break room or a colleague’s office can lift your spirits.
- Listen to music. Music changes EVERYTHING. When you feel like you’re about to tap out, pop on your favorite playlist and see how quickly your energy levels can be restored!
- Fuel up with a healthy snack. Sometimes, we think we’re all done for the day when we’re really just hungry. Make sure you stock up on healthy, nutrient-rich snacks for the office! A snack can give you a much-needed energy boost in a flash.
- Hydrate. Dehydration can make you feel like crapola. Try drinking some cool water when you’re tired. It can make a big difference! Opt for green tea instead of another cup of coffee when you hit your afternoon slump. You’ll get a sufficient boost of energy without the dreaded jitters or the crash that follows.
Feeling Down about yourself?
- Think about the things you’re feeling bad about. Write down 5 good qualities for every perceived quality. We all have those days when we feel not-so-good about ourselves. Don’t allow your mind to take ahold of you. Combat those negative thoughts with positive ones!
- Phone a friend. When you’re feeling down, sometimes the best solution is distraction. Call up a good friend. Tell them what’s going on…or don’t. Vent to them get some bff therapy, or have them distract you. Whatever works!
- Write down three major successes and think about the qualities that it took to achieve them. When you’re feeling low, shut those feelings down with some cold hard facts. Write down your major achievements and the qualities that you possess which helped you to achieve those goals.
- Exercise. One of the quickest, surest ways to feel AMAZING about yourself is to exercise. Even if you only do it for 10 minutes, your mood will improve and you can’t help but feel fabulous afterward.
- List it. Write down everything that you need to do. Get it all out of your head and down on paper. Once your worries are no longer swimming around in your head, half the battle is over!
- Prioritize. Reorder your list according to what is most pressing.
- Eat the frog. What’s one thing that would make you feel better if you completed it right now? Take care of that first. Each time you “eat the frog” you will feel a huge weight lifted off of your shoulders, and the next task will be easier to complete.
- Breathe. Focus on deep, calming breaths. It’s easy to get wrapped up in hectic lifestyles and forget to just slow down and breathe. Stopping for a few moments throughout the day just to mindfully relax and breathe can work wonders for calming the nerves and focusing.
- Get out of your head. Make sure you don’t get too wrapped up in your own thoughts. It’s all too easy to get lost down the rabbit hole when you’re overwhelmed with stress. Talk to others, get out and do something fun, ask for help, and remember that struggle is all part of the process.
Don’t allow the stresses of life to ruin your progress. Find techniques that work best for you and implement them into your life in order to keep stress at bay, stay focused and be happy!